Application Guidelines: Social Innovation Competition
Engaging Our Future!
Innovation Challenge for Sustainable Society
In the current world which is full of uncertainties, the role of higher education, especially that of a university, is increasingly important. The university can be a catalyst in creating connectivity among members of society, serving as a knowledge platform to address complex challenges in social, economic, political, environmental and other value systems of our time. Engaging Our Future!—Innovation Challenge for Sustainable Society is a global engagement program in the form of social innovation competition (hereafter referred to as “the Competition”) to be launched by Chulalongkorn University (the Office of International Affairs and Global Network and the School of Integrated Innovation) that encourages university students from around the globe to work together as a team towards Sustainable Development Goals. In order to provide best opportunities and values, the organizers will closely collaborate with local and international partners whose expertise and experiences will enrich the participants of the program.
- An application has to be submitted as a team of three (3) to five (5) students.
- The members of each team must be the students enrolled in a degree program (as of September 30, 2020) at any university and from any geographical location in the world.
- The students may be from a single/multiple universities and of a single or/and multiple countries.
- A project must be an original work of the team.
- The Competition is designed for the projects that are in an idea/prototype stage. If the team’s project has already started its execution and/or regular operation and/or has launched its MVP (minimal viable product), it is not eligible to be submitted to this Competition.
- Application Form
- A copy of the students’ ID
- A video clip (not more than 3 minutes) of the project and its link on YouTube
- A pitch deck (pdf file) of the project (not more than 8 slides)
All application must be submitted through https://www.eventpop.me/e/9142
July 23, 2020 Application submission deadline, 6 p.m. Bangkok time (GMT+7).
July 31, 2020 All applicants to participate in the webinar “The Future of SDGs”
Ten (10) finalists will be announced (with matched mentors).
August 3-14, 2020 The finalists are to re-shape the projects through mentorship that are close to MVP status—traction, feedback from potential stakeholder(s), and possibly conducting a pilot project.
A mentor matched with each finalist will guide on the arrangements and mentorship schedule.
August 22, 2020 Final pitching online competition by the 10 finalists in front of the judges and public audience
Awards announcement and award presentation ceremony
Selection Committee, Mentors and Judges:
Academics, experts and experienced practitioners will serve as selection committee members, mentors and judges. They represent diverse disciplines, trainings and professional backgrounds thus offering wealth of knowledge, experiences and insights to the projects.
Awards and Conditions:
1st prize US$10,000
2nd prize US$3000
3rd prize US$1000
- Judges’ Award: An opportunity to join a partner platform.
- All awardees will receive certificates.
- Monetary award will be remitted to the awardees by bank transfer in one installment by the end of September 2020. Each awarded team has to identify ONE bank account in receiving the fund. The awardees will be fully responsible for any fees and taxes that may arise as the result of receiving the monetary prize.
Office of International Affairs and Global Network (OIA), Chulalongkorn University
Chulalongkorn School of Integrated Innovation (Scii)
United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
Yunus Center, Asian Institute of Technology